Welcome to the Murray System
Our Murray System includes the towns of Cohuna, Echuca, Gunbower and Leitchville.
We service around 9,250 water connections and 8,500 wastewater connections for a population of more than 17,000.
Water is sourced from the regulated Murray System managed by Goulburn-Murray Water. We have a bulk entitlement as well as low and high reliability water shares in the regulated Murray System.
Raw water is taken from Gunbower Creek for Cohuna, the Murray River for Echuca, Taylors Creek for Gunbower, and the Cohuna Channel and Gunbower Creek for Leitchville.
Raw water is treated at our water treatment plants in Cohuna, Echuca, Gunbower and Leitchville and supplied to customers through our water supply network.
Wastewater is collected through our sewer network and treated at our water reclamation plants at Cohuna, Echuca and Gunbower. Wastewater from Leitchville is treated to the Gunbower Water Reclamation Plant.
Our plants also treat wastewater from commercial sites in accordance with trade waste agreements and consents. These businesses range from cafes to large industries.
The recycled water produced at our water reclamation plants is supplied to local irrigators. Biosolids are reused for agricultural purposes.
Securing our water future
Our priority is securing water for our customers and ensuring the demand for water is met for the next 50 years.
We use water resource and climate data from the last 130 years, as well as population growth, household water usage and climate change projections to forecast our future water resource position.
We need to continually adapt to meet these challenges, and balance the social, environmental and economic needs to plan for a sustainable future.
Our Urban Water Strategy identifies the best mix of actions to provide water services now and into the future. Building bigger and better infrastructure is not the only way to ensure security of supply. We can look for new ways to reduce the water we use, find new water sources, or reuse more water.
Investments in this system
These are some of the projects we have invested in for the Murray System since our last Urban Water Strategy in 2017:
- Purchased Murray Low Reliability Water Shares.
- Installed new treated water tanks at Echuca West and at the Cohuna and Gunbower Water Treatment Plants .
- Fitted digital data loggers to customer meters to assist in determining leaks in customers’ homes, saving on water and reducing costs to customers.
- Planned an upgrade of Echuca Water Treatment Plant due to start in 2021.
- Completed the Echuca Town Vision which looks at long-term needs to the town.
- Continued to reuse 100 per cent of recycled water from Echuca to support agricultural production.
- Replaced more than 800 metres of water mains in Cohuna to reduce the number of unplanned bursts and reduce water losses.