Welcome to the Coliban Northern System
Our Coliban Northern System includes the towns of Bendigo, Axedale, Huntly, Raywood, Sebastian, Heathcote and Tooborac.
We service around 50,614 water connections and 47,583 wastewater connections for a population of more than 124,000.
The system is serviced by the Heathcote and Bendigo Water Treatment Plants. The treated water for Bendigo, Axedale, Huntly, Raywood and Sebastian is stored in the Sandhurst clearwater storage which has a capacity of 40 megalitres before it is piped to the reticulation system.
The treated water for Heathcote and Tooborac is pumped from the clearwater storage to an elevated 1.6 megalitre storage tank and distributed to the townships.
Wastewater in this region is treated at the Bendigo, Axedale and Heathcote Water Reclamation Plants. There is no wastewater network for the townships of Sebastian, Raywood or Tooborac.
Townships without wastewater systems generally have septic tanks or other onsite wastewater systems to treat and dispose of or recycle domestic wastewater at unsewered sites.
The recycled water produced at our water reclamation plants is supplied to local irrigators. Biosolids are reused for agricultural purposes.
Bendigo has a Class A recycled water scheme that includes residential, industrial and public open space usage.
Securing our water future
Our priority is securing water for our customers and ensuring the demand for water is met for the next 50 years.
We use water resource and climate data from the last 130 years, as well as population growth, household water usage and climate change projections to forecast our future water resource position.
We need to continually adapt to meet these challenges, and balance the social, environmental and economic needs to plan for a sustainable future.
Our Urban Water Strategy identifies the best mix of actions to provide water services now and into the future. Building bigger and better infrastructure is not the only way to ensure security of supply. We can look for new ways to reduce the water we use, find new water sources, or reuse more water.
Investments in this system
These are some of the projects we have invested in for the Coliban North System since our last Urban Water Strategy in 2017:
- Renewed the Bendigo Water Treatment Plant (WTP) microfiltration systems.
- Current upgrade to sludge drying beds at the Bendigo WTP.
- New wastewater pipeline from Bendigo WTP to connect to the Bendigo sewage system.
- Completed planning to improve water supply and pressure for Marong, Maiden Gully, Huntly and Strathfieldsaye.
- Renewed significant sections of the Bendigo sewer mains and introduced a sewer blockage reduction program.
- New large sewage pump station to be installed in 2021 Strathfieldsaye East.
- Re-commenced cropping of farmland at the Bendigo WTP, enabling reuse of recycled water and improve the quality of the site soils.
- Decommissioned Jackass Flat rural system to reduce water losses.
- Completed the Bendigo Town Vision and Water and Resource Recovery Plan (WARRP), which considers long term needs of the town.
- Completed Bendigo Groundwater Project on behalf of DELWP and commenced groundwater dewatering and treatment.